Friday, 24 April 2015

Week 11


Week 11


This week we discussed the issue of ethics in business and social media. Shane asked us to discuss three questions in groups –
Would monitoring employees at work via technology be ethical? My group came to the conclusion that this depends on the extent to which employees are being monitored.Under what circumstance is it ethical to use consumer data from another company? We decided that permission must be sought before this information can be used.Is it ethical for facebook to alter your mood using newsfeed?We had no issue with this as all information on facebook is in the public domain anyway.


Shane also explained meta ethics (Truths or values), normative ethics(standards for right or wrong) and applied ethics (specific issues). He went on to discuss the topics of Deontological theory (Duty theory or rights theory) and Consequential theory (ethical egoism, ethical altruism and utilitarianism).


I also reviewed the literature available about google tends and Wikipedia, I particularly enjoyed Jimmy Wales TED talk about Wikipedia and how it works, I was particularly interested in how Wikipedia monitors edits to ensure garbage does not make the website, I also read the article abot the hoax that managed to avoid this monitoring process and be on the website for over 5 years. I also particularly like the google trends page, I explored the information about game of thrones and its rise in popularity over time.





No comments:

Post a Comment